Sunday, February 5, 2012

little quilt monday~~~vintage doily mini quilt


Little Quilt Monday

I have doilies in my linen closet that were given to me by my mother and my mother-in-law.   I never really saw either of them decorate with doilies, so I imagine they were given to them by their mothers.  I thought it would be fun to bring one out of the closet and make something with it.  Something old, given a new, modern look.  I like to think that this doily was made by my grandmother, or maybe her mother....but I honestly don't know who made it.  I just know that it is beautiful.

I cut a piece of linen 12.5 inches square and then sewed the doily onto the linen.  Knowing this little mini quilt would not be washed and would probably hang on my wall, I sewed along the edge and didn't worry about the center.  If I was going to use it as a table topper, I would use more stitches.



Next I  spray basted the batting and backing to the front and began hand stitching with off white crochet thread.  You know how I love those big stitches!



I picked out some of my favorite Liberty of London fabric for the binding, and ended up with a darling
 12 X 12 inch vintage doily mini quilt.
I have linked up to Sew Modern Monday


I hope you will get some doilies out of your closet, and make one for yourself : )  I have a few more to play with too!


Now it's your turn to link up something to

Little Quilt Monday

1.  This link-up party is for any small project.  For example, mini quilts, doll quilts, baby quilts, place mats, mug rugs,
wall quilts, table runners, etc.
2.  They can be a WIP(work-in-progress) or finished.
3.  If it is something from the past there is no need to write a new blog post, just link the one that you have already written, and, please link back to my blog post.
4.   If you are interested, you can add your pictures to my flickr group here, or join my Facebook group here. 

Let's inspire each other!

piece,
elizabeth

I am linking this post to TGIFF Finish It Up Friday, and Sew and Tell.





Lawson and Lotti

14 comments:

Q said...

This is totally gorgeous I love it!

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Love your new header photo! So Cool!

Susana Neiger said...

Beautiful!!! What a great idea, and a great way to display the gorgeous doily. It's bobbin lace: AWESOME treasure! Love it!

Jennie said...

That is such a neat idea - I have no idea what you do with a doily, but it's such a shame to leave something so beautiful in a cupboard when someone put so much work into it. Fab! Thanks for sharing

Amy Gibson said...

I have HUNDREDS of these things inhereted from my grandmother, and have been just waiting for an idea on how to incorporate them into a quilt- love this! I'll definitely be using your tips :) thanks so much! :)

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

What a lovely idea to create a wall hanging from the vintage doily. I am a new follower and have linked a post to Little Quilt Monday. Thanks for hosting and providing a place to share our projects.

Debra

Charlotte said...

Very cute, I do love vintage doilies, so pretty. Thanks for linking up

Kirsten said...

So pretty! I have just received a stack of crocheted doiles from my grandmother that I would love to use in something like this.

Kris from Duke Says Sew What said...

it's beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

That is so pretty! The doily is just gorgeous and you "framed" it perfectly!

xo -E

Pieces of Cotton said...

I have several doilies and I really like this idea - might have to copy it myself.

M-R Charbonneau said...

What a beautiful way to repurpose those doilies, Elizabeth! Very fresh and modern! Thanks for linking to TGIFF!

Marsha Cooper said...

Very pretty!
You have prompted me to head on in to my craft room and get started on figuring out how to hand quilt a table runner that I've been stuck on for a few weeks.

All Done said...

Beautiful!