Wednesday, January 25, 2012

velveteen pinkeeper tutorial


I have been wanting to buy some of Anna Maria Horner's velveteen and today I found some at my LQS.  I couldn't wait to make something and decided on a magnetic pinkeeper.   First I looked through my magnets and made sure that it would hold the pins through the fabric.  This one worked great.


Then I cut a 3 inch hexagon(one of my favorite shapes lately) out of the beautiful velveteen.


I cut some batting a little bit smaller than the velveteen and glued it to the wrong side of the back.  Then I  sewed around the hexagon, leaving one side open so I could turn it right side out.



After I turned it right side out, I placed some glue on the magnet and put it inside the hexagon before sewing the opening closed.



Now the fun begins : )  I picked two colors of crochet thread and big stitched around the hexagon.



 It is going to be a fun pinkeeper to use!  It will travel well and not take up much room because it is flat.
This was such an easy, quick project.  Simple and soft and satisfying : )



If you make one, I would love to hear about it....

piece,
elizabeth


9 comments:

Shari said...

This looks great! I haven't seen anything like it before... intriguing with the magnet...

Lynette said...

Clever and pretty! :D

KaHolly said...

Love it!! I enjoy working with hexagons, too. Thanks for sharing.

Angie said...

Totally awesome tutorial. I will make one or three :) of these. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Your furbabies are ADORABLE!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Hi, I hopped to here from your TGIFF post. I think this is fab! I'm happy with a pin cushion but this looks perfect for needles. I usually put them in the pincushion but they end up disappearing in it :( Thanks so much! I must buy magnets :)

Charlotte said...

This is really gorgeous, what a great idea. Thaks for sharing and linking up

Susana Neiger said...

Awesome! What a great idea! Nice work!

Paulette said...

Could you tell me what kind of magnet you used. The ones I have won't work through the magnet. Thanks!

Paulette said...

These pin keepers are awesome. What brand/kind of magnet did you use.