Thursday, March 1, 2012

vintage quilt thursday~~~trapunto lingerie bag



Vintage Quilt Thursday

I have a lovely, vintage lingerie bag that belonged to my grandmother.  Lingerie bags were popular when the women wore nylon stockings and wanted to protect them from snags.  I wish you could feel the softness of the satin.   I am taking a guess that this is a product of the 1940's.


The trapunto quilting design is wonderful and the shadow work(dark stuffing) makes it stand out so well.
It measures 14.5 X 7 inches when open.  The outside is light pink satin and the piping is light gray satin.


The inside is ivory satin with a rose and leaf motif, so lovely.
Click on the picture to get a closer look.


Here you can see the pocket for protecting nylons from snags, or whatever you
 might want...perhaps a handkerchief or a love letter : )


This vintage piece is a special treasure.  I don't know who made it, but I know who owned it!
  I haven't ever tried trapunto quilting, have you?

The winner of my Leap Day giveaway is Robin.

Now it is your turn to link up something to

Vintage Quilt Thursday

1. This link-up party is for any vintage quilted or sewing related item.
2.  If it is something that you have already blogged about, there is no need to write a new blog post,  just link to the one that you have already written.
3.  Please link back to my blog post.

My hope is as I do more research on my vintage quilts and quilted items, that I will gain more knowledge about the quilt patterns and fabrics of the past.  

piece,
elizabeth

No comments: