Friday, October 28, 2011

bloggers quilt festival~~~~fall 2011


Bloggers' Quilt Festival

        Fall 2011

Charming Baby Quilt
A while back I played with some Moda Wee Woodland charm squares,  and here are the pictures of my process of just making it up as I went along( just winging it : )

Sew 30 five inch squares together like this.

Cut a 2..5inch strip off one side.

Sew the strip to the other side.

Now cut again in 6 equal pieces as shown.

Mix them up and sew together into 3 units as shown.

I then added 2.5 inch strips of Kona cotton between the units

I framed it all around with 2.5 inch strips of Kona cotton and then
added a brown sashing strip and another border.

















Next I decided to machine quilt with straight line quilting(my first time : )  I did this in a random pattern.







It is not perfect but it is still a soft cuddly baby quilt.  I always like the crinkly look of a quilt after it has been washed.  It was quick and easy to put together with charm squares and I hope with practice my machine quilting will improve!  The quilt measurements are 32 X 42 inches. 


If you have time take a look at some of my mini quilts.  I have started making them to try new techniques and color combinations and I am enjoying the process.  I have started a Little Quilt Monday link up party so we can share little projects and be inspired by each others mini quilts(mug rugs, pot holders, doll quilts, table runners, wall hangings....finished or not....there aren't any rules : )   

I hope you will visit the Bloggers' Quilt Festival hosted by Amy's Creative Side and get some inspiration as you visit other blogs and see all the beautiful quilts.

piece,
elizabeth

16 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Wow, very cool. I like the design.

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Very colorful and snuggly! I really like the straight line quilting.

trish said...

What an awesome quilt! :o)

Vicki said...

Great quilt, thanks for the tutorial!

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm visiting from the Blog Bash! Beautiful quilt! I'm so close to finishing my first bed-size quilt. (12 more inches of binding...) :)

Rachel @ TheSingingSparrow.com

Carla said...

Love the colors and the style. Great work!

Kathy said...

Great idea for this sweet little baby quilt. Thanks for explaining how you did the piecing.

Jennie said...

I've been looking through your mini quilts that you've linked too - they are all absolutely gorgeous - I love the idea of trying out new techniques and getting a beautiful result quickly. But I do have one question: what do you do with them all? I would love to try some, but I can hear my husband and mum both saying, "now what are you going to do with it" - stroke it, love it....

Kit Lang said...

thanks for sharing your process!

Eileen said...

Great little quilt and so nice to see your process for doing it. Very cool idea. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Karen said...

This is a lovely design. The fabrics look great. What a gorgeous quilt.

Leanne said...

It is a lovely quilt and your technique is very clever, thanks for sharing it.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

This is pretty neat. I just ended up putting together a mini flying geese with much the same process. Start with precuts and go where it leads. Now I have these mini scrappy geese for a swap that I'm pretty pleased with. I should be finishing it up today so I will have to link up tomorrow. :D

Sherry said...

Love your quilt. Thanks for sharing the design, very clever!

Maureen T. said...

Your quilt is very cool!! Thanks for posting the tutorial!

Martha said...

I like this! Very creative and something I would like to try. Thanks for sharing.