Wednesday, June 6, 2012

wip~~~hawaiian applique


I have had this little Hawaiian appliqué kit for years.  It is for needle turn appliqué.  
I have always admired needle turn appliqué, but I just don't have the patience for it at this
 point in my life!  So I decided to make this block my way... a raw edged Hawaiian appliqué block.


I am using red variegated floss for my stitches.


I am also hand stitching my Union Jack mini quilt.  I am still spending lots of
time watching NBA basketball on TV : )


I do like working with red!

piece,
elizabeth

I am linking up to WIP Wednesday.




7 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Like you, I've had a Hawaiian kit FOREVER too. I keep saying "someday". I like the idea of doing it your own way.

Shannon said...

I did a Hawaiian applique last year and like you didn't have the patience (or in my case the skill) for good needle turn applique. I did turned under machine applique and it turned out ok. I love your raw-edged look with the embroidery floss, particularly the the variegated floss. I think it gives a really modern look to a lovely traditional pattern.

The Thompsons said...

Really cool applique!

Kim said...

Whatever makes it fun....this is supposed to be a fun hobby right?
Looks cute :0)

Happy Sewing

Cherie said...

That looks great so far! Such neat little stitches =D


I'm having a giveaway on my blog. Feel free to stop by and enter (if you haven't already) =D
http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/official-150th-post-giveaway.html

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Looking good! I love the look of needle turn but don't have the patience for it either.

Susana Neiger said...

Great way to make the project your own! I agree - needle-turn applique looks great, but it's not realistic to expect it of myself right now, either! I love how the variegated thread looks!