Thursday, June 14, 2012

show off friday~~~disappearing 16 patch process



Show Off Friday
Here are some pictures showing the process of making the Disappearing 16 Patch block.
I first saw this technique on Melissa's blog, Happy Quilting

After making your 16 Patch quilt block you will cut the block cross-wise like this.
(This is a 6.5 inch block)


Now you have a stack of triangles  I had 4 blocks so I ended up with 16 triangles.


Put two triangles together, mixing up the fabric combinations
so that none of the same fabrics meet in the middle.  You will
end up with 2 blocks for every 16 Patch quilt block that you make.


Sew them together to make a Disappearing 16 Patch quilt block : )
I ended up with 8 blocks. 
(These are 4.5 inch blocks)


I plan to make a mini quilt with these cuties.

Now it is your turn to link up something~~~~ what do you have for

Show Off Friday

There are no rules for this link up party....this is just the place to show off projects you are working on!


piece,
elizabeth

I am sorry about the two links....I haven't figured out how to delete one without deleting both.  Oh well, double the pleasure : )



10 comments:

Debbie said...

looks very fun!

Pieces of Cotton said...

I love the look, but aren't you going to clip the corners of your inside squares when you put them together?

Pieces of Cotton said...

Ok - I just clicked thru to the original tutorial and the corners do get clipped, but wow - what a pretty quilt!

The Cozy Pumpkin said...

OOoooh...neat! Will you be setting those on point?

Deanna said...

Here from FAF Friday. Great blocks! Thanks for sharing the idea.

Cherie said...

I love making these! Somehow the same print always manages to end up together on a few =D

Cynthia@wabisabiquilts said...

What a fun technique - I've never seen this before. I might worry about the bias edges - do you ever have problems with stretching/distortion?

Maria said...

I'm loving this technique and can't wait to see how you put them all together finally.

Kat said...

I've seen the disappearing 9 patch but never the 16. So pretty! (Never occurred to me to cut them diagonally... such a nice look!)

Talin's Corner said...

Love it so far. Those solids are so vibrant, I can't wait to see how it will all go together.