I scorched one of my hexagons as I was ironing the edges for machine applique. I first showed you my hexagons here. I had no luck getting the scorch stain out, so I soaked the block in my leftover coffee.
Then I laid the block on a towel to dry, and decided to make a potholder out of my mistake.
Here you can see the difference in the coffee dyed quilt block and an original white block.
I used some Insul Bright for my batting to make the potholder able to withstand the heat.
I used a variegated thread for the machine stitching and black embroidery floss for the out line quilting.
Although, I will be careful not to scorch another quilt block, I am happy that I was able to turn my mistake into a cute, useful potholder : )
I am linking up to Finish It Up Friday.