Thursday, February 10, 2011

sock block

I am working on an exchange of sock blocks designed by Mary Lou Weidman.  They are cute and not really hard to make, but a little time consuming.  I can't show the process because she is putting the pattern in a future book, but I can show you a few of the socks I have made.  They are to be in red, cheddar, aqua, and green with a splash of black on a cream background.  The sock block sizes will all be different, because it is a basic pattern that you cut without using templates or measurements.  I ended up making mine all with similar dimensions for the sake of time.  I felt like I was wasting too much fabric until I let myself just cut and not worry about the odd shapes that were left.  And then after I developed my own pattern to follow, I was able to turn them out a little faster, with less waste!  I am not entirely sure what I will make when I receive my group of sock blocks from the exchange, but I am sure that I will think of something : )

Mary Lou writes books and teaches all over the country and she has a great blog.  It is always full of bright, fun quilts and pictures.

~piece~

elizabeth

No comments: